Prairie Horizons 2017: Beyond Limits!
Saturday, Sept. 16, 2017
9:15-10:45a.m. Conference Kick-off Presentation: “A Cheat Code for Conflict”
Playwright and author Marty Chan draws from his theatre background to share a technique for crafting dramatic scenes in fiction. Whether you’re a pantser or a plotter, his cheat code for writing will help you organize a story that will keep readers turning the page until the end.
11:00a.m.-12 noon. “2nd book” Panel Discussion: “Lightning Strikes Twice”
Marie Powell, Kristine Scarrow and Michael Bradford discuss the challenges of marketing one book while editing another. Marie and Michael have a second book in a series accepted, while Kristine has a second (and third!) stand-alone book coming out. There will be an audience question period.
1:15-2:15 p.m. Presentation: “Illustrating Metis Culture in Children’s Books”
Write and illustrator Leah Marie Dorion discusses the process of illustrating and representing Metis culture in children’s books.
2:45-3:45 p.m. Publishing Panel: “What in the World Do They Want?”
Find out about the current challenges and trends in publishing.
4:00- 5:00 p.m. Fantasy Foundations Presentation: “Out of This World”
Fantasy worlds fascinate our imagination. From landscapes to technologies, these worlds seem so complete we could almost catch the next shuttle there! Have you ever tried to create a fantasy world? What kind of beings live there, and how do they relate to each other and their environment? Join author Marie Powell to explore fantasy world building.
7:00 -8:00 p.m. Keynote: “How to Succeed at Writing, One Yes at a Time”
Marty Chan recounts the highlights of the journey that led him to a successful career as a creative artist. He unveils the highs and lows of being a freelance writer as well as the strategies he developed to survive and thrive in the ever-changing marketplace of publishing.
The 2017 CANSCAIP Prairie Horizons conference takes place September 15-17 at Queen’s House in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
Arrive Friday, September 15 at 7 p.m., and leave Sunday September 17 at 10 a.m.–unless you live in Saskatchewan. Then you get to stay until 11 a.m. at the Bi-annual General Meeting of CANSCAIP Sask Horizons.
- Full Conference with Room at Queen’s House– includes all sessions, accommodations for both nights, Friday reception, Saturday breakfast, lunch, supper and snacks, Sunday breakfast. Note: supper is not available on Friday. Also, rooms at Queen’s House are first-come, first-served. If all rooms are booked, we will help you find accommodation in Saskatoon and you will be charged only the conference fee.
- Up to Aug 31: $320
- Sept 1-8: $345
- Full Conference, no room – includes all sessions, Friday reception, Saturday lunch, supper and snacks
- Up to Aug 31: $225
- Sept 1-8: $250
- Saturday Only – includes all Saturday sessions plus lunch, supper, and two snacks.
- Up to Aug 31: $175
- Sept 1-8: $200
- Aug 31, 2015: Last day for no late registration fee.
- September 8, 2015. Last day to register.
- September 15, 2015: Conference begins. Live Action Slush event
- September 16, 2015: Saturday sessions and workshops
- September 17, 2015: Wind-up and door prizes, CANSCAIP Sask Horizons Biennial General Meeting
More Registration Opportunities
- Friday night Live Action Slush
- Saturday night Open Mic
- Sign up to read or perform for 3 minutes
- Book Table
- Bring books or CDs to sell
- Volunteer to help at the table
- Be a buddy to a first-timer, or get a buddy
- Request a ride to or from the airport or bus depot in Saskatoon, or volunteer to give a ride to someone who needs one.
- Volunteer to sit at at the sign-in table and:
- Check-in participants
- Hand out conference packages
- Direct participants to sign in to their rooms and show them the floor plan to find their way around
- Volunteer to help with set up or clean up
- Alert St. Mike’s about dietary requirements
- Online: register and pay with PayPal at http://canscaip.org/EventsCalendar
- Download and print the 2017 Printable Registration Form.
- Write a cheque to CANSCAIP Sask Horizons.
- Mail completed form and cheque to CANSCAIP Prairie Horizons 2017, c/o 4820 Castle Road, Regina SK, S4S 4X3
- Full refund minus $35 up to September 8 (one week before conference)
- After September 8, 50% of fee will be refunded
- In emergency situations, full fee will be refunded.
Join us for the 12th biennial
CANSCAIP Prairie Horizons Conference
September 15-17, 2017 in Saskatoon, SK
Theme: Beyond Limits!
Find out more about the presenters.
Sessions: writing page-turners, publishing your second book, illustrating Metis culture, building fantasy worlds, succeeding at writing, writing what publishers want. Find out more.
Schedule: Download the Conference Schedule 2017.
Friday night Live Action Slush – Add the first page of your manuscript (children’s or YA) anonymously to the Prairie Horizons slush pile. A panel of editors and experienced writers will read it aloud and give feedback. A great way to learn what works and what doesn’t.
Open Mic: Got something to share? Sign up to read or perform a 3 minute piece on Saturday night.
Book Table: Sell your books and CDs, and sign up to help at the book table. No commission, but bring your own change.
Full Conference (including accommodation and meals):
- Full conference with accommodation: $320
- Full conference with no accommodation: $225
- Saturday only: $175
- After Aug 31, add a late fee of $25
- Final Registration Deadline: Sept 8, 2017.
Register online or by mail. Complete details and instructions are on the Registration Page.
To join CANSCAIP: http://canscaip.org/JoinCANSCAIP
Questions? Jeanette at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com .
Online Registration & Payment: http://canscaip.org/EventsCalendar
Download a PDF of the Poster for Prairie Horizons 2017.
Thank you to our Sponsors!
And thank you for your donations: